Patchwork Tea Cozy
Size: 13-1/2" x 10-1/2"
11" x 14" piece of floral print
assorted scraps of coordinating prints
- Two 11" x 14" pieces batting
- Two 11" x 14" pieces Therma-Flec Heat Resistant Cloth
- 1 yard 3/16" piping in coordinating color
- 1 yard single or double fold bias tape in coordinating color
- 11" x 14" piece of paper (newspaper sheet will work)
- Dinner plate (for curve pattern)
- All purpose thread to match fabrics
- Sewing machine with zipper foot
- Basis sewing supplies and tools
Note: All seams are ¼"-wide with right sides together unless otherwise directed.
- Cut twenty 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" squares from assorted fabric scraps.
- Arrange the squares into four rows of five squares each. Join the squares together in each row. Join the rows together, matching the seam lines, to make a 15-1/2" x 12-1/2" rectangle. Press well.
- Fold paper in half so it measures 7" x 11". Place a dinner plate at the top corner opposite the fold and trace around the edge to make a curved top. (Diagram #1) Cut on lines. Use this pattern to cut two pieces from the Therma-Flec, two from batting and one from the floral print. Center the pattern on the patchwork and cut out for the cozy front.
- Layer the patchwork front, right side up, batting and Therma-Flec, right side down, and baste or pin to hold. Repeat with floral print and remaining batting and Therma-Flec for cozy back.
- Quilting the front and back is an optional step but it does emphasize the patchwork and secure the layers. Stitch in the seam lines of the patchwork fronts and repeat the same 3-inch grid on the back.
- With raw edges even, pin and baste the piping to the curved sides and top of the cozy front.
- Pin the cozy front and back together with right sides facing and raw edges even. Attach zipper foot to sewing machine and stitch the pieces together, sewing close to the piping cord. Finish the seam edges with a close zig zag stitch or serger.
- Unfold the bias binding and pin the binding along the bottom edge of the cozy, starting in the back. Fold the beginning short end under ¼" and over lap the end ½"; trim off any excess. Stitch in the fold edge.
- Wrap the bias tape over the raw edge to the inside of the cozy and slip stitch in place.
For diagrams and patterns please download the PDF instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: We try to accurately represent the product colors on our website, but internet colors may differ from actual fabric color. Please request a sample to check actual color!