by Carol R. Zentgraf Design & Editorial Services
- James Thompson Shalimar Burlap: 3/4 yard of Orange, 1/2 yard of Yellow, 1/8 yard of Barn Red
- 18"-square pillow form
- 2 1/4 yards of 3/8"-wide red ribbon
- 1 1/4"-diameter 2-hole red button
- Fabri-Tac permanent fabric adhesive
- Fray Check seam sealant
- Matching sewing thread
- Water-soluble fabric marking pen
- Iron and pressing surface
- Sewing machine
- From the yellow burlap, cut two 20" squares for the pillow front and back, being careful to cut on the straight and crosswise grains of the fabric. From the orange burlap, cut one 14" square, then cut a free-hand five-petal flower from the square. From the red burlap, cut two 4"-diameter circles.
- Apply Fray Check to the edges of the flower petals and let it dry. Center the flower on one yellow burlap square for the pillow front. Tack the center of the flower and the center of each petal in place with Fabri-Tac. Using red thread, machine stitch free-form lines from the center of the flower onto the petals, stitching back and forth on each petal six or seven times.
- Pull the burlap threads evenly around each 4" red circle until a 1" square remains in the center. Stack the circles on the center of the flower, arranging the frayed edges evenly. Sew the red circles to the flower, stitching around the center square.
- With wrong sides facing, sew the pillow front to the back along three edges, stitching 2" from the edge. Insert the pillow form and sew the remaining edge closed, using a zipper foot and stitching 2" from the edge.
- To fringe the edges, pull the burlap threads to 1/4" from the stitching lines. Glue ribbon around the edges of the pillow form, covering the stitching lines.
- Thread two of the pulled yellow burlap threads through the holes of the button and tie into a bow on top. Trim the ends as desired. Glue the button to the center of the flower.
For diagrams and patterns please download the PDF instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: We try to accurately represent the product colors on our website, but internet colors may differ from actual fabric color. Please request a sample to check actual color!