Fiesta Muslin Cafe Curtains
by Carol R. Zentgraf Design & Editorial Services
Brighten up any window when you use Fiesta Muslin to make cheerful café curtains with a contrasting border.
Size: Valance, 14" long x custom width. Curtains, 24" long x custom width.
- Fiesta Muslin for curtains and borders in yardage determined in Step 3.
- Wright's Mini Pinch Pleat Magic Curtain tape with 2 1/2 times fullness, in yardage determined in Step 2.
Note: Use a 1/2" seam allowance and sew with right sides together.
- Decide whether you want the curtains to be hung inside the window frame or on the wall outside the frame. Measure this width to determine the finished width of your window treatment.
- To determine the curtain tape yardage, multiply the finished width determined in Step 1 by 2.5 for the valance. Repeat for the curtains; the combined width of the two panels is the same as the valance width.
- To determine the cut width of the valance, multiply the finished valance width by 2.5 and add 4" for the side hems. You will need to piece a 11 1/2"-long strip to this width. To determine the cut width of each curtain panel, divide the finished treatment width in half. Multiply this measurement by 2.5 and add 4" for side hems. You will need two 21 1/2"-long panels in this width. For the top borders, plan to cut a 4"-long strip in the same width as the main fabric for each panel. For the bottom borders, plan to cut a 6"-long strip in the same width as the main fabric for each panel.
Use these measurements to determine the total yardage needed for the main fabric and contrasting border fabric, adding 1/2" seam allowances if piecing panels to achieve the necessary width.
- Cut the panels and border strips to the sizes determined in Step 3. Sew the short edges of panels together as needed to achieve the determined cut width.
- To make the valance, sew the top and bottom border strips to the main fabric panel. Press the long raw edge under 1/2". Press the strip in half lengthwise to the wrong side of the curtain. Edgestitch the folded edge in place. Press the lower border under in a doubled 2" hem and stitch in place. Press each side edge under in a 1" doubled hem and stitch in place. Sew the curtain tape to the wrong side of the top border, centering the pleats on the valance width. Pull the cords to make the pleats and knot the cording ends securely. Trim the excess cords or tack to the end of the tape if you want to release the pleats for future laundering.
- Repeat the valance instructions to make each curtain panel.
- Insert a curtain hook in the center of each pleat to hang.
- Wright's Magic Curtain Tape, www.wrights.com
For diagrams and patterns please download the PDF instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: We try to accurately represent the product colors on our website, but internet colors may differ from actual fabric color. Please request a sample to check actual color!