Striped Ticking Gift Bags
Size: Approximately 6-1/2" x 10" x 2"
Two 9" x 12" pieces of striped ticking
Small piece of striped ticking in contrasting color
- Two 5" x 5" squares of clear vinyl
- Small amount of paper-backed fusible web
- 1 yard 5/8"-wide red grosgrain ribbon
- ½" – ¾" –diameter button
- Four ½"-diameter black buttons (heart bag)
- Scrap of brown felt (apple bag)
- Small piece Apple Green Stripe Ticking (apple bag)
- ½"-dimeter green button (apple bag)
- All purpose thread
- Permanent fabric adhesive
- Basic sewing supplies and tools
Note: All seams are ¼"-wide with right sides together unless otherwise directed.
- Draw a 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" square on the paper side of the fusible web. Follow manufacturer's directions to apply this to the wrong side of the contrasting ticking fabric. Cut out on drawn lines and remove paper backing.
- Position ticking square on right side of one bag piece with bottom of square 2-3/4" up from bottom of bag; fuse in place.
- Use pattern to draw heart or apple in the center of the square; cut out on lines through both layers.
- Place the clear vinyl on the wrong side of the bag front, covering the cut out shape. Hold in place with four small pieces of tape. Topstitch close to the edges of the cut out and the fused square, catching the vinyl in the stitches.
- Pin the bag front and back together, right sides facing, and sew around the bag, leaving open at the top. Press the seams open.
- To make the bag bottom, match the bottom seam with an adjacent side seam; flatten to a point. Pin and sew 1" from the point, perpendicular to the seams, through all layers. (Diagram #1) Trim the seam to ¼" and repeat for the other corner. Turn the bag right side out.
- Press and sew a double ¼" hem at the top of the bag.
- Hold the ribbon at the center back of the bag, about 2" down from the top, and place the button over the ribbon. Sew through the button, ribbon and bag back. Bring the ribbon ends around to the front of the bag and tie in a bow.
- To finish the heart bag, sew or glue a black button to each corner of the square appliqué.
- To finish the apple bag, use the pattern to cut a stem from brown felt and glue it to the top of the apple. Cut a 2-1/2" x 3" piece of fusible web; apply it to the wrong side of the green stripe ticking scrap. Remove the paper backing and fold the ticking in half with the web in the center; fuse the layers together. Use the pattern to cut out one leaf from this fused fabric. Fold a pleat at the leaf bottom and tack or glue the button on top. Glue the leaf base to the apple top as shown.
For diagrams and patterns please download the PDF instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: We try to accurately represent the product colors on our website, but internet colors may differ from actual fabric color. Please request a sample to check actual color!