by Chris Malone
Size: 8" x 8"
Materials (for one)
- 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" square of Therma-Flec Heat Resistant Cloth
- Scraps of two coordinating print fabrics
- 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" square of 100% cotton batting
- 5" piece of 3/8"-wide grosgrain ribbon
- 1"-diameter button
- No-fray solution
- Basic sewing supplies and tools
Note: All seams are ¼"-wide with right sides together unless otherwise directed.
- Cutting for Floral Center with Red Borders:
- From floral print, cut one 6-1/2" x 6-1/2" square. From red print, cut two 1-1/2" x 6-1/2" strips and two 1-1/2" x 8-1/2" strips.
- Cutting for Blue Center with Yellow Borders:
- From blue print, cut one 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" square. From yellow print, cut two 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" strips and two 2-1/2" x 8-1/2" strips.
- For either potholder, first sew the shorter border strip to the top and bottom of the center square; press seams toward the border. Sew the longer strips to the sides; press the seams toward the border.
- Hold the pieced top and Therma-Flec squares right side together and pin to the batting square. Sew all around, leaving a 4" opening on one side. Trim the batting close to the seam, trim the corners and turn right side out through the opening. Press.
- Fold in the seam allowance on the opening and slip stitch the folded edges together to close.
- Stitch in the seam line between the center square and the borders.
- Apply no-fray solution to both ends of the ribbon; let dry. Fold the ribbon in half to form a loop and place the button over the ends. Stitch the button and ribbon ends to one corner of the potholder.
For diagrams and patterns please download the PDF instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: We try to accurately represent the product colors on our website, but internet colors may differ from actual fabric color. Please request a sample to check actual color!